March Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get a jump on spring by spiffing up surfaces, clearing clutter and getting your warm-weather clothes in shapeReblogged – Original article by Laura Gaskill Houzz Contributor.
March is a fickle month when it comes to weather; depending on where you live, it could be snowing or utterly balmy. But even if you still have snow on the ground, by March we are all craving a fresh start around the house. From cleaning counters and curtains to doing an exterior check, here are nine home tasks to consider this month.
1. Clear the kitchen. Completely clear all kitchen surfaces, then scrub the countertops and walls. Now step back and admire how lovely your kitchen looks without all of the usual equipment and random junk cluttering up the counters.
Consider putting back only the things you use daily, and make room for the rest in closed cupboards.
3. Beautify your command center. The desk in the kitchen or entryway is often the hub of household activities — and also tends to be swamped with piles of paper and random clutter. Take some time to clear the decks, file papers, log upcoming events in the calendar and put things away.
Now add something beautiful: Pretty cloth-covered boxes to keep your papers neater, a few small framed art prints and a delicate potted plant would be lovely.
4. Launder and mend soft furnishings. Early spring is a good time to clean soft furnishings: slipcovers, pillow covers, curtains, shower curtains, duvet covers and area rugs.
You can launder smaller items at home, but bring larger pieces to a pro. Take a close look at everything before it goes into the wash or out to the cleaners, and attach a colorful pin or clip to any holes or stains that need special attention.
5. Spring clean your wardrobe. Take the time to go through your entire wardrobe, weeding out the ill-fitting and unworn, and setting aside winter clothes that are ready to be cleaned and stored. If you live in a chilly climate, now is a good time to pull out the spring clothes from storage. Note what is missing from your wardrobe.
If clothes that have been stored are a bit stale, fluff them in the dryer before putting them in your drawers.
8. Swap out storm windows for screens. If you use storm windows in the winter, remove them after the worst winter weather has passed. Swap out your storm doors for screen doors, and put up screens on all the windows if they were removed for winter.
Search Homes for Sale in Santa Cruz County (Santa Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Rio del Mar, Watsonville, La Selva Beach, Pajaro Dunes) and North Monterey County (Aromas, Prunedale, Moss Landing, Salinas, Marina, Castroville, Seaside, Spreckles)
BUYERS: BUYER REPRESENTATION SERVICES (No Cost to Buyer) 831-531-8183
SELLERS: Want to know your HOME’S VALUE?